The Shoulderstand Asana (Sarvangasana)
One great posture for extending the lower back is a the Shoulderstand. Shoulderstand (sarvangasana) is often referred to as the “queen of all yoga postures,” with Headstand being deemed the “King.”
The Benefits of Shoulderstand (sarvangasana)
It is said that some yoguis just practise this posture throughout their entire life. The pose can be held from 30 seconds to 30 minutes.
This posture is said to aid in curing the common cold to reducing constipation. This posture is therefor a ‘cure -all’ for most common ailments and should be practiced every day. Below are some of the benefits:
1. Balances hormones: Sarvangasana balances the thyroid and hypothalamus glands, allowing for proper hormone production.
2. Strengthens the heart and respiratory system: Due to the fact that the body is in an inverted position, shoulderstand reduces strain on the heart. Healthy blood can easily circulate around the neck and chest, and as a result, people with asthma, bronchitis and throat ailments may get relief.
3. Combats the common cold: Continued practice of this asana eradicates common colds and other nasal disturbances.
4. Soothes the nervous system: This pose has a soothing effect on the parasympathetic nervous system. Therefore, those easily irritated, or prone to anger or nervous breakdowns can be stabilized and less reactive to life’s circumstances.
5. Reduces constipation: The change in gravitational pull on the body affects the abdominal organs so that the bowels move freely and constipation is relieved.
6. Increased strength and flexibility: Shoulderstand strengthens the upper body, legs and abdomen. The posture opens the chest and stretches the neck, shoulders and upper back muscles.
7. Decreases varicose veins: Shoulderstand assist in draining old blood from the legs, pelvis and abdominal area, therefore reducing varicose veins.
8. Stimulates the Visuddah (Throat Chakra): Shoulderstand ignites the fifth chakra, which is associated with creativity and self-expression. When this chakra is open, our negative experiences can easily be transformed into wisdom and learning.
9. Reduces wrinkles: Due to increased blood flow to the face, wrinkles can be reduced. In addition, many practitioners notice an improved complexion with a consistent shoulderstand practice.
10. Aides in restful sleep: Shoulderstand promotes deep sleep and can assist in providing rest for people with insomnia.
Let me know what you think about this pose, I would love to hear from you.
For thousands of years, Tulasi also known as The Holy Basil, has been used in India as a medicinal plant, and is an important symbol of Hinduism. Commonly used in Ayurveda, its powerful medicinal properties aid to cure common ailments. Tulasi is mentioned in the Charaka Samhita, an ancient Ayurvedic text. Marked by its strong aroma and astringent taste, it is regarded in Ayurveda as a kind of “elixir of life” and believed to promote longevity.
The leaves are a nerve tonic and also sharpen the memory. They promote the removal of the catarrhal matter and phlegm from the bronchial tube. The leaves strengthen the stomach and induce copious perspiration. The seeds of the plant are mucilaginous. Overall providing great healing powers when suffering from a Fever, Common Cold, Throat pains, Coughs, Respiratory Disorders… but it doesn’t stop there, studies show how it help get rid of Kidney Stones and heart disorders. If the plant is grinded and use as a paste it can aid Insect bites, Mouth infection (such as ulcer – a few leaves can be chewed) and Skin disorders. A few drops of the Basil juice every night can aid for those who suffer from sore eyes and night-blindness.
I buy my Tulsi in tea bags from my health food shop and have experienced great benefit with managing stress, and going to sleep at night. I feel more ‘balanced’ after a cup of Tulsi tea... one of those feeling that is hard to explain until you try it for yourself.
Have you had any experience with this plant? If so please share with me!
IMPORTANT: These are only general guidelines. It is always better to see a doctor depending upon the intensity of the case. The views expressed above are entirely those of the author.
Here is a super easy, delicious and nutritious juice that will help cleanse your kidneys, hydrate your sexy organs and make your skin glow… Are you ready?
2 x green apples
1/4 of a watermelon = savasana!
Tips: Watermelons are low in calories (aprox 30 calories per 100g), are rich in electrolytes and are an excellent source of Vitamin A. Thats not all our watermelon friend offers, it is also rich in anti-oxidant flavonoids like lycopene, beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin and cryptoxanthin. Research shows these antioxidants offer protection against colon, prostate, breast, endometrial, lung, and pancreatic cancers. Phyto-chemicals present in watermelon like lycopene and carotenoids have the ability to help protect cells and other structures in the body from oxygen-free radicals. Juice the watermelon rinds too! Research show how watermelon rinds contain citrulline, which your clever body turns into arginine. Higher levels of arginine can help improve blood flow and other aspects of our cardiovascular health.
Let me know what you think! ENJOY!!